Why?

Throughout the Western world, there are many who have adopted the Eastern practice of taoism, as an alternative to Christianity.
Many are atheists. Many are emotion-driven. Many are politically-motivated. Most of these lean heavily to the left.
Thus by-passing the most fundamental tenet of taoism: It is all about Balance.

To call yourself a "taoist" carries a responsibility.
To not misrepresent an ancient "Way" to suit one's own ego, or political stance.
There being, so many, so guilty of this, is the sole reason for the existence of this site.

Claiming to be something, requires you to be what you claim to be.
Not merely to claim it.

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Worth.

When a man knows his worth, it looks like ego to the worthless. 
Ego is the portrayal of worth, in place of the worth, itself. 

Taoism is: becoming worthy. 
Taoism is not: the portrayal of worth. 

4 comments:

  1. In my life, worth relates highly to money. When I have lots of money I feel important. But there is a minimum. As long as I am above the minimum I feel acceptable. When I have no home or no job, I don't want people to know. I try to keep this a secret. I try to steer the topic away from what I am ashamed of. I'll pretend not to care, but I don't completely not care. Technically I agree with you, but pragmatically, I feel the suggestion to correlate money with worth is not a small one and not so easy to drop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's difficult, it has worth.
    I've been as poor as any man in human history.
    Amusingly, even this is an art.
    When you master it, it is blissful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Value is often measured by the difficulty of attaining something, but there are many difficult things to attain that are not worth that much.

    At this moment finding a deep sense of peace has worth. It isn't necessary. Life can be lived while feeling rattled. But peace is something I value because I enjoy it. At this moment I cannot say I have worth and mean it, because I do not know what I means. But I can say peace has worth and mean it because value is easy for me to see there.

    Though following this line of thought, I value that something within me can recognize peace to be preferable to franticness. If that same something valued franticness then I suppose I'd be happy to be frantic. So to be more clear I value my ability to discover and experience what I value, which just so happens to be peace but could just as well have been anything else. Who I am and what I value most seem intrinsically related.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is non-attachment to peace, frantic, (or anything else) that has value.

    ReplyDelete